Baklava is a delicious rich dessert that is very popular around the Mediterranean. Every family and culture has their own traditional way of making it. This is one easy recipe for the poppy seed baklava. So easy to make and easy to eat.
Poppy seed baklava – Recipe
The way of preparations – easy
- Prep time – 20 minutes
- Cooking time – 35 minutes
- 500 g filo pastry
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 1 cup poppy seed
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cup water
Instructions on how to make Poppy seed Baklava
- Oil a 9 x 13 baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Beat 3 eggs with 2 cups sugar.
- Add 1 cup yogurt, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 cup sunflower oil, 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar, and 1 cup poppy seeds.
- Boil 3 cups sugar with 2 1/2 cups water for 7 minutes
Make the rolls:
- Set one sheet of phyllo dough on a large, clean work surface.
- Brush half of the sheet with oil.
- Fold the un-oiled half over the oiled.
- Brush oil over the top. Do this 3 more time. You should have four layer.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of filling, along the long edge of the dough stack leaving a little margin at the ends.
- From the poppy seed end, tightly roll the dough up like a carpet.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the rolls into equal sized pieces.
- Arrange the pieces in the baking dish.
- Brush oil over the baklava rolls.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, until golden brown.
- When baklava rolls are cold, pour the warm syrup and leave to absorb before serving.