I love squash for so many reasons. At first of all, they have great health benefits, and they are low-calorie and low-carb. So today, for lunch, on my table will be squash/zucchini moussaka.
I love dairy-free options. Therefore this zucchini moussaka is Paleo, low-carb, keto, dairy-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, and grain-free.
Paleo & Low-carb Zucchini Moussaka – Recipe
Way of preparation – easy
- Prep time – 10 minutes
- Cooking time – 50 minutes
Yields – 4 serving
- 2 medium zucchini ( about 800 grams) cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 500 grams beef meat (ground) or meat to choice
- 2 onion
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
Instructions how to make zucchini moussaka
- Preheat the frying pan or skillet over low heat.
- When the pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons of oil and increase the heat to medium-low.
- Using a wooden spoon, saut the onions until translucent. Add the meat and continue to saut until lightly browned.
- Add black pepper and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed about 10 minutes
- Set aside
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Lightly oil a large baking
- Place a layer of zucchini slices and spread the meat mixture evenly on top.
- Cover with the remaining zucchini slices
- Bake for 30 minutes, then sprinkle the egg mixture ( 3 eggs + water) over the top and continue to cook for another 15 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove the moussaka from the oven and allow to cool
- Moussaka is traditionally eaten warm, not hot.
- Serve and enjoy
Nutritional Information (amount per serving)
- Calories – 275
- Total Fat – 18 g
- Cholesterol – 220 mg
- Total Carbs – 1 g
- Protein – 32 g