Maybe you’re stuck in a pizza rut, or you are just looking to switch up your pizza topping ideas. Homemade meaty pizza with sliced salami, smoked sausage, and crispy bacon, sprinkled with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Homemade meaty pizza – recipe
The way of preparation – easy
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 6 oz. freshly grated mozzarella (divided)
- 2 oz. salami
- 2 oz. cooked smoked sausage (diced into ¼-in. pieces)
- 6 slices cooked smoked bacon
- ⅓ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (divided)
- ⅓ cold-fermented pizza dough recipe
- Garlic olive oil
- Kosher salt
Instructions on how to make Meaty Pizza
- At least 2 hours before baking, remove dough from the refrigerator
- Shape it into a ball by gathering dough towards the bottom and pinching shut, placing the seam side down.
- Flour well and place the ball in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Cover tightly and allow the dough to rise at warm room temperature until roughly double in volume.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat (350°F to 450°F) and preheat a pizza stone for at least 15 to 25 minutes.
- Press out 1 ball of dough into a rough 8-inch circle, leaving the outermost edge about 1-inch thicker than the rest.
- Gently stretch the dough by draping over knuckles into a 12- to 14-inch circle about ¼ inch thick. Transfer to a pizza peel covered with parchment paper.
- Salt pizza dough with kosher salt, brush the dough with garlic olive oil and then sprinkle ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper evenly.
- Next, sprinkle half of the mozzarella in a single layer. Evenly distribute the salami, smoked sausage, and bacon on top of the cheese. Then, sprinkle half of the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on top.
- Slide the pizza on the preheated pizza stone. Grill with the lid closed, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted, 10 to 12 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, turn the pizza and add the rest of the mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses.
- Using the pizza peel, transfer the pizza from the stone to a wire rack and let the pizza rest for 5 minutes. Before serving, lightly drizzle the pizza with garlic olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
One more recipe
Healthy, Low Carb, and Crunchy, Mini Pizzas with Parmesan