Roll Cakes are simple to put together, low in fat, and can be made in advance, making them the perfect dessert for gatherings. Therefore, this Jam roll cake with Rice flour is perfect for you.
Read more about gluten-free jam
Gluten Free Jam Roll Cake – Recipe
The way of preparations – easy
- Prep time – 15 minutes
- Cook time – 12 minutes
Yields – 10 servings
For the Cake
- 4 large eggs (separated and at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ (icing) sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Lemon zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice (glutinous) flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan gum
For the Filling:
- Gluten-free Jam of your choice
Instructions On how to make Jam Roll Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Line the bottom of a 10″x 15″ jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Use an electric mixer, whip together the egg yolks and confectioners’ sugar until pale yellow, and nearly double in volume.
- Beat in the vanilla and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with the salt, until foamy.
- Increase the speed, and gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the rice flour, sweet rice flour, cornstarch, and Xanthan gum.
- Fold half of the flour mixture into the egg yolks, followed by half of the whipped egg whites.
- Follow up by folding in the remaining flour, and then the remaining egg whites.
- Do not over mix, just gently fold until fully incorporated.
- Spread the batter in an even layer in the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes, or until the cake springs back when gently pressed.
- Let cake cool for 2-3 minutes before using a spatula to loosen the sides.
- Lay a clean tea towel over the cake, and place a larger baking sheet over top.
- Carefully flip the pans, remove the pan you baked the cake in, and peel the parchment paper off the bottom of your sponge cake.
- While the cake is still warm, using the towel and starting at the short end, carefully roll the cake up into a roll.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Rolling the cake into a roll while it is still warm will help prevent it from cracking when you roll it up with the filling.
- Unroll the cake, spread the jam filling evenly over the cake, leaving 1 1/2-inches on the 10″ side clear.
- Re-roll the cake, without the towel.
- Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Serve and enjoy
One more gluten-free dessert recipe