Sesame Bagels – Turkish Gevrek, similar to a bagel, or even a soft pretzel, crispy from outside, soft and chewy from inside. Soft bread-snack, shaped into a ring, dipped in honey and water, topped with sesame seeds and baked.
Sesame Bagels – Recipe
The way of preparations – easy
- Prep time – 2 hours 30 minutes
- Cooking time – 30 minutes
Yields – 16 servings
- 3½ teaspoons active dry yeast + 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup honey OR molasses
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sesame seeds
Instructions on how to make Sesame Bagels
- In bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in 1/4 cup warm water and let stand 10 minutes in a warm place until frothy.
- Add flour, salt, and 1 cup water to yeast mixture.
- Mix until combined.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 15 minutes by hands.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and kitchen towel; let stand for 2 hours.
- Place dough on a lightly floured work surface and knead it for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a log and cut it into equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a tight ball and let rest under a slightly damp towel about 10 minute
- Again roll each ball, but into a 10-inch long rope.
- Form the rope into a ring, pressing the overlapping ends together to seal.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and let rest 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together honey OR molasses and 1 cup of water.
- Put the sesame seeds on a flat plate.
- Dip each ring in honey-water first, then in the sesame seeds, completely coating the bagel with the sesame seeds on all sides.
- Continue with the rest of the dough and transfer them all back to the baking sheet
- Let rest 30 minutes.
- Take each ring and rotate it gently through your hands, enlarging it into about a 6-inch circle.
- Place the rings back on the baking sheet and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Bake in well-heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
Nutritional Information (amount per serving)
- Calories – 294
- Total Fat – 9 g
- Total Carbs – 46 g (Fiber 3 g )
- Protein – 7 g
- WW SmartPoints – 9