Honey baklava is flaky, crisp and tender. This Baklava recipe has walnuts and cinnamon layered between flaky phyllo dough brushed with melted butter. It’s baked and drizzled with a sugar and honey syrup to create a crispy, sweet, and impressive dessert!
One more recipe Gluten-Free Cashew Nut Baklava
Honey Baklava with Walnuts and Cinnamon – Recipe
The way of preparations – medium
- Prep time – 1 hour
- Cooking time – 1 hour 15 minutes
Yields – 36 slices
Baklava Pastry & Filling
- 1 (16 oz) pkg. phyllo dough, thawed according to package instructions
- 1 1/4 cups butter, melted
- 4 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Instructions on how to make Honey Baklava with Walnuts and Cinnamon
- Thaw phyllo dough completely
- Let the package of phyllo sit, unopened, for 1 hour
- Butter the bottom and sides of a large rectangular 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Trim phyllo to fit in the dish, if necessary.
- Keep trimmed dough covered in a damp cloth so it doesn’t dry out.
- Chop walnuts in a food processor.
- Stir together the walnuts and cinnamon until combined.
- Prepare the syrup before assembling the baklava so it has plenty of time to cool completely before pouring over the baked phyllo dough.
- Combine the sugar, water, honey, vanilla and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to boil for 4 minutes more without stirring.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Heat oven to 325 F.
- Sprinkle approximately 1/5 of the walnuts and cinnamon mixture (roughly 3/4 cup) in a thin, even layer over the first 10 sheets of phyllo dough
- Repeat 4 more times but with 5 sheets of phyllo dough instead of 10,
- Brush each with butter before adding the next sheet.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 cup of the walnut mixture.
- Finish the baklava with a final, top layer of phyllo dough brushed with butter between the layers using the remaining 6-10 sheets of dough.
- Brush the top sheet of phyllo dough with butter as well.
- Carefully slice the baklava into 1 1/2-inch wide strips lengthwise, then slice diagonally to create diamond-shaped baklava.
- Bake in the 325 degree F oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the baklava is golden brown.
- Remove from oven
- Drizzle all of the cooled syrup over the baklava.
- Bake in the 325 F for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the baklava is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately drizzle all of the cold syrup over the baklava.
- Set aside to cool completely at room temperature for 4-6 hours.
- The finished baklava can be store for 1 to 2 weeks at room temperature.
Recipe originally from Natasha’s Kitchen with slight modifications