Croissant are definitely one of those foods that takes time…but oh so worthy! Fresh gluten free croissants made at home perfect for tea party.
Homemade Gluten Free Croissants – Recipe
The way of preparations – medium
- Prep time – 45 minutes
- Cooking time – 15 minutes
Yields – 10 croissants
- 2 1/4 cups Gluten Free Pastry Flour, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Splenda (or granulated sugar substitute or sugar)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup almond milk OR milk, at room temperature
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free Pastry Flour
- (1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, beaten well), for brushing
Instructions on how to make gluten free croissants
- In a large bowl, place the flour, yeast and Splenda, and whisk to combine well.
- Add the salt, and whisk again to combine.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add the butter and milk.
- Mix until the dough comes together.
- Add more flour by the half-teaspoonful if necessary to bring the dough together.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Sprinkle the top very lightly with more flour, and roll into a 9-inch round.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the butter packet.
- Sprinkle a piece of unbleached parchment paper with 1/8 cup of the flour, and place all 16 tablespoons of butter on top and press together.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour, and cover with another piece of unbleached parchment paper.
- Pound the butter with a rolling pin until it flattens and melds together.
- Uncover and fold the flattened butter in half, cover again with the parchment and pound again until you have a 5-inch square butter packet.
- Cover the butter packet completely with parchment.
- Place it in the refrigerator to chill for 5 minutes or until firm
Wrap the butter packet into the dough
- Remove the 9-inch round dough from the refrigerator, unwrap.
- Flour the surface and place the dough on it.
- Place the chilled butter packet directly in the center of the dough and score the sides of the dough lightly to represent the exact size of the butter.
- Remove the butter and set it aside.
- Using a rolling pin, begin at the site of each of the four scorings and roll the edges of the dough away from the center to create 4 flaps, leaving the center of the dough intact.
- Return the butter packet to the intact center of the dough, and wrap the flaps of the dough around the butter packet like you would a present.
- Once the dough has finished chilling after its first turn, repeat the process of rolling the 3-layer dough out into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle.
- Make the dough like a business letter, at least 4 more times, wrapping and chilling the 3-layer rectangle of dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes in between turns.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- Roll out the prepared 3-layer croissant dough into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle.
- Using a very sharp knife, square the edges, then cut out as many 4-inch x 6-inch rectangles as you can.
- Slice each rectangle diagonally into two triangles and separate the shapes from one another.
- Roll each triangle out to elongate it to about 8-inches from base to tip.
- Slice a notch into the base of each triangle about 1/2-inch deep, and roll each triangle into a coil from base to tip, turning the edges slightly away from each other as you roll.
- Place on the prepared baking sheets, seam side down, about 2-inches apart from one another.
- Cover lightly with oiled plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft-free location until nearly doubled in size.
- Uncover the baking sheets and brush the tops and sides of the croissants with the egg wash.
- Place the shaped and proofed croissants in the refrigerator to chill for at least 10 minutes or until mostly firm.
- While the shaped croissants are chilling, preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Place the croissants in the center of the preheated oven, one baking sheet at a time, and bake for about 15 minutes, or until deep golden brown all over and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool briefly before serving.
- Serve and enjoy