A traditional Tres Leches is a type of sponge cake or butter cake using 3 kinds of milk to soak the cake in, typically evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream. This is a version of a traditional Tres Leches Cake made without grains, gluten-free, sugar-free and low carb! The texture is so soft and creamy. You will love it. Perfect cake for kids. After all, it reminds me of childhood when my grandma has made something similar with cow milk.
Low Carb Tres Leches Cake – Recipe
Way of preparation – easy
- Prep time – 20 minutes
- Cooking time – 30 minutes
Yields – 12 servings
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Stevia or other sugar-free substitutes
- pinch of salt
- 6 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup butter melted, cooled
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Instructions how to make Low Carb Tres Leches Cake
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk the coconut flour, baking powder, and 3 tablespoons Stevia together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites and ½ tablespoon Stevia into a bowl and blend until you get firm foam.
- In another bowl whisk the egg yolks, butter, and vanilla extract.
- Fold the coconut flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Gently fold in the stiffened egg whites in small batches into the coconut flour batter.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Take out from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Allow cooling for about 20 minutes before removing from pan.
1.Options – Tres Leches with Creamy Frosting
- Take a skewer stick and make holes in cake.
- In another bowl whisk together the coconut milk, Half & Half, and heavy cream.
- Pour this over the cake into all the holes. Allow standing for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before frosting.
Nutritional Information (amount per piece)
- Calories – 153
- Fat – 14 g
- Total Carb – 4 g (Fiber 2 g)
- Protein – 2 g
2.Options – Tres Leches with Caramel frosting
- Combine coconut milk and a half and half in a small measuring cup.
- When cake is cool, gently pierce the surface with a fork every inch or so.
- Slowly pour over the cake with the coconut milk and half and half mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least half an hour
- Cover with sugar-free caramel frosting
- Serve and enjoy