In the winter, there’s nothing better than baking a pot of saucy beans in the oven to warm the house. Their smell brings us to our childhood. This is one a wonderful old-fashioned baked beans recipe.
Baked Beans – Recipe
Way of preparation – easy
- Prep time – 30 minutes
- Cooking time – 2 hours
Yields – 6 servings (serving size 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups navy beans
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon molasses or Canadian maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Instructions how to make baked beans
- Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain water and soak them in new water
- Simmer until tender, approximately 1 to 2 hours.
- Drain and reserve the liquid.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Arrange the beans in a 2-quart bean pot or casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of the dish, and layering them with bacon and onion.
- In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over beans (to cover the beans)
- Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake for 2 hours in the preheated oven, until beans are tender.
- Remove the lid about halfway through cooking, and add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting too dry.
- Remove the lid and bake for 10 minutes more
Nutritional Information (amount per serving)
- Calories – 285
- Total Fat – 8 g
- Total Carbs – 20 g (Fiber 7 g )
- Sugar – 4 g
- Protein – 10 g
- Cholesterol 15 mg