Moist, sweet, milky, caramel – these are all attributes of “tres leches” cake. This is an ultra light cake soaked in a sweet milk mixture and topped with caramel.
Tres Leches Cake – Recipe
The way of preparations – easy
- Prep time – 40 minutes
- Cooking time – 35 minutes
- Passive time – 4 hours
Yields – 12 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 6 eggs , separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar , divided
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup caramel syrup
Instructions on how to make Tres Leches Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly spray a 9×13” pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Separate the eggs into two separate bowls.
- Add 3/4 cup sugar to the bowl with the egg yolks and mix on high speed until yolks are pale yellow. Add the 1/3 cup milk and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and stir gently just until combined.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites on high speed. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar as you mix and continue beating until stiff peaks.
- Fold egg whites into the batter gently, just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes in well-heated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow cake to cool completely.
- Combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and whole milk in a small bowl. Once the cake has cooled use a fork to poke holes all over the top of the cake.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture over the the top of the cake, making sure to pour near the edges and all around.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour or overnight, to allow it to soak up the milk.
- Spread the caramel syrup over the cooled cake.
- Serve and enjoy.