This zebra bundt cake starts with a basic pound cake recipe. Not an ordinary pound cake recipe but a moist, light and soft pound cake that is seasonally enhanced with pomelo, raisins, lemon zest, and fresh lemon juice. The citrus combinations make this a simple yet exceptional recipe. Top it off with a sweet lemon glaze and you have yourself a stunner of a cake.
Zebra Bundt Cake – Recipe
The way of preparation – easy
- Prep time – 20 minutes
- Cooking time – 50 minutes
- Total time – 1 hour 15 minutes
Yields – 14 servings
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 oz sour cream
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup candied pomelo
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup sugar (125g)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Instructions on how to make zebra bundt cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt.
- Mix and set aside.
- In another bowl mix together the butter and sugar for about 4 minutes.
- Add sour cream and mix until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- With the mixer running, add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer running at low speed slowly add the flour mixture.
- Mix until the batter is smooth and light.
- Transfer approx. one-third of the dough into a large bowl and combine with cocoa powder.
- White part: Gently fold the candied pomelo into the batter with a rubber spatula.
- Cocoa part: Gently fold raisins into the batter with a rubber spatula.
- Grease and flour Bundt pan.
- Spoon light and dark dough into the pan in alternating layers.
- Bake in well-heated oven 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with only a few moist crumbs attached.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan.
- After 15 minutes invert onto a cooling rack and let cool completely before adding the glaze.
- Whisk the sugar and lemon juice together until smooth.
- Put a baking sheet under the rack to catch any drips and drizzle the lemon glaze over the top and sides of the cake.
- Serve and enjoy