So delicious and light!! ..This Spinach and Cheddar Cornbread is great tasting warm or room temperature!! Nice twist on traditional cornbread! This cornbread has a lot of health benefits. It’s made with a whole-grain cornmeal, has less sugar than most cake-like cornbreads, and it has spinach packed into it. So, you’ll get vitamins and minerals, and less energy-crashing effects.
Cornbread with Spinach and Cheese – Recipe
The way of preparation – easy
- Prep time – 15 minutes
- Cooking time – 45 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 oz sharp cheddar, grated
Instructions on how to make cornbread with spinach and cheese
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet over low heat
- Add a 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped spinach and a pinch of salt and increase heat to medium-high.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the spinach has released its juices and evaporated, so that the mixture appears fairly dry, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Heat the water, milk, and the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium-high until the butter is almost melted.
- Stir in the cornmeal and continue stirring until there are no lumps and mixture is thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl, and stir in the chopped spinach mixture, sugar, salt, baking powder, and beaten eggs.
- Fold in the grated cheddar.
- Grease a 9 x 9 inches casserole with butter and dust the interior and sides thoroughly with cornmeal.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes in the well-heated oven, or until top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of the dish comes out clean.
- Let cool at least 5 minutes before cutting and serving.